In summer 1894, the annual general meeting of the Orchestra Association decided to change the Association’s name to the Helsinki Philharmonic Society. One of the reasons was that “Orchestra Association” had led to misunderstandings and been an obstacle to the hiring of players and soloists. The old name, it was felt, carried a suggestion of amateurism.
An addition was made to the Society’s rules in 1895. The purpose of the orchestra school was now to train both women and men as orchestra musicians, and not just men. In practice, this amendment would not be implemented for a long time to come.
Source: Einari Marvia & Matti Vainio – Helsingin kaupunginorkesteri 1882–1982